April 9, 2010
On January 19, 2010, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and Dorel Asia, SRL of Barbados, announced a voluntary recall to replace approximately 635,000 Dorel Asia drop side and non-drop side cribs, due to a suffocation and strangulation hazard to infants and toddlers.
The CPSC and Dorel Asia received one report of the death of a 6-month-old from Iowa who became entrapped and strangled in a crib after the drop side hardware broke. The company has received 31 other reports of drop side incidents, with six involving entrapment between the drop side and the mattress. Other incidents involving slat breakage have also been reported.
The recall affects the following Dorel Asia cribs:
- 2-1 Crib, fixed, walnut (WM1676BCR-DC)
- 3-1 Convertible Crib, drop side, natural (DA1615B3)
- 3-1 Convertible Crib, drop side, white (DAKM5132)
- 3-1 Convertible, drop side, espresso (GP004B3EGR)
- 3-1 Convertible, drop side, toffee (DASE5015)
- 3-1 Convertible, drop side, white (GP004B3WGR)
- 3-1 Heritage Crib, drop side, natural (DA0504KMC-1N)
- 3-1 Heritage Crib, drop side, white (DA0504KMC-1W)
- 3-1 Lexington Crib, drop side, cherry (DA1614B3)
- 3-1 Sleigh Crib, drop side with no castors, cherry (WM1633-0)
- 3-1 Sleigh Crib, drop side, cherry (WM1633)
- 3-1 Sleigh Crib, fixed with no castors (WM1633-0-DC)
- 4-1 Bethany James Crib, fixed, walnut (WM1676BC)
- 4-1 Crib, fixed, Manhattan walnut (WM2163)
- 4-1 Crib, fixed, Manhattan walnut (WM2163DC)
- Cottage Hill Single Crib, drop side, white (DASE5005)
- Jenny Lind Single Crib, drop side, walnut (DAKM5152)
- Single, drop side, espresso (GP006BCEGR)
- Single, drop side, white (GP006BCWGR)
- Vintage Estate 3-1 Sleigh Crib, drop side, cherry (DASE5009)
The recalled cribs were sold at K-Mart, Sears, and Walmart stores nationwide from January 2005 through December 2009.
Consumers are advised to stop using the cribs immediately and contact Dorel Asia at 866-762-2304 to receive a free replacement kit.