April 19, 2010
On April 7, 2010, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Hammary Furniture Co. of Lenoir, N.C., announced a voluntary recall of approximately 7,000 pieces of furniture, citing a possible lead paint hazard after the surface paint used on the chests and tables was found to violate federal lead paint standards.
The list of recalled furniture products includes:
- Accent Table (model number T73069-00), $500 (average price)
- Bachelor’s Chest (T72858-00), $800
- Bar Cabinet (T73064-00), $700
- Black Bedside Chest (T73319-00), $260
- Bombe Chest (T73292-00), $700
- Box on Stand (T73174-00), $280
- CD Storage (T73070-00), $360
- Console Table (T72345-00), $880
- Door Chest (T73346-00), $900
- Entertainment Console (T72706-00), $900
- Nest of Tables (T73229-22), $460
- Octagonal Drum Table (T73294-00), $240
- Octagonal Drum Table Brown (T73293-00), $240
- Old Western Rifle Accent Table (T73112-00), $500
- Oval Game Cocktail Table (T71522-00), $900
- Roulette Accent Table (T71946-00), $640
- Round Accent Table (T73175-00), $200
- Vincent Rattan Entertainment Center (T71037-00), $700
- World Map Drum Table (T71274-00), $720
The recalled furniture was sold at major department stores and furniture retailers from November 2001 through November 2009.
Consumers are urged to stop using the recalled furniture immediately, keep children away from the products, and contact Hammary to receive a free replacement piece. The company's website includes photographs of all furniture pieces included in the recall.